As I sat in an enormous, fully reclining chair at the screening room on my favorite studio lot, the iron-gated Paramount, I thought, “I can’t believe this is my job!” I was watching a free movie months before it came out to prepare to fly to Tiburon, the nicest town in California, to interview the movie’s gorgeous co-star Connie Nielsen over an expensive lunch. Even ominously named streets on the lot – what sane woman would walk down here alone at night? – seemed glamorous. After the screening, I got the email I always get. Except for the times when the studio publicist is waiting outside the screening room to ask me in person. The publicist wanted to know what I thought of the film. When Richard Stengel was the arts editor at Time magazine, he taught me his trick of never answering that question. The director will find out what I said. Even if I gush, the director might be upset that I didn’t gush as much as I did about their last film. And my access would be limited. Or worse yet, I’d have to have a discussion with a director about how I didn’t understand their art. Keep reading with a 7-day free trialSubscribe to The End of My Career to keep reading this post and get 7 days of free access to the full post archives. A subscription gets you:
|
Thursday, November 21, 2024
My Review of Gladiator II
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Substack Live with Ruth Ben-Ghiat, Sunday at 4:30 pm
Join Ruth Ben-Ghiat and me for a Substack Live today, Sunday, at 4:30 pm. ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ...
-
On Monday, Leon County Circuit Judge Angela Dempsey rejected Bear Warriors United's request for a temporary injunction to halt the s...
-
The Trump administration has launched a new federal initiative called the U.S. Tech Force, aimed at hiring about 1,000 engineers and t...
-
Police say information from a Reddit tipster who had a strange encounter with another man on a sidewalk outside Brown University provi...



No comments:
Post a Comment